Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Learning Chinese


Granted, our daughter will grow up to speak English and will culturally be an American. But we also want her to be exposed to some of the language and culture of her birth country. Plus, I thought it would be fun and informative to learn a little Chinese before our trip. So, I've been learning a few words and simple sentences from a computer program I found at Half Price Books. I still haven't learned the all important traveller's question, "Where is the restroom?" The only words I can consistently remember at this point are "mother," "horse," "hemp," and "scold." Boy, those are really going to come in handy.

By the way, the symbol at the beginning of this post is the Chinese symbol for "love." Click here to see the symbols for a host of other words in Chinese.

No comments: