Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My Trusty Assistant

As some of you know, I've been taking violin lessons since February. Lily enjoys listening to me practice and is a very forgiving critic. She applauds after each piece. When she forgets to applaud, I turn to her and bow and say, "Thank you very much," and then she remembers, "Oh, yeah, I'm supposed to clap now," and does. Tonight, however, instead of clapping, she started bowing back to me!

But here is my favorite thing she does now. I'll start my practice session by standing up in front of my music stand. Lily will then disappear from the room to go get one of our folding chairs from the kitchen, and drags the chair to where I am practicing. She will place it carefully in front of me and pat the seat, saying, "Mmmm...mmmm....mmmm....mmm." In Lily language that means, "Sit here, Pop. Take a load off." I do, and she sits down beside me, and the concert continues.

No comments: