Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I almost popped a local right in the nose

Wednesday, March 25

At first, she made me get teary-eyed when I recognized what she was trying to say. A split-second later, I was furious. I almost popped the old woman in the nose. But I kept my passions in check and refrained from creating an international incident.

What happened?

During our excursion through the department store earlier today, a woman looked at Aidan in the shopping cart and pointed to his lip. Then, with a look of disgust on her face, she looked at me and made a gesture as if to say, "This one's no good." Jack saw it, too, and said, "Some people!"

That was the first time I'd seen anything other than approval of adopting a child here whom others may see as less than perfect. But what really is "perfect" after all? We live in a broken world and things don't always work, or in Aidan's case, develop the way they are supposed to. But that doesn't lessen his value as a human being. And the more time I spend with him, the more I realize what a precious gift from God he is.

But there's a part of me that still wants to pop that lady in the nose. God forgive me.

3 comments:

Seek&Surrender said...

Thanks for the story. God will bless you for having a heart broken for the same things that break His heart.

It reminds me of the blind boy that was being interviewed by a tv reporter. The boy responding to the question about what is it like to be blind, said "it's a blessing because I see a person from the inside rather than from the outside."

2 Corinthians 4:17-18
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Anonymous said...

A "real" Daddy definitely would have wanted to punch her in the nose. A real Christian Daddy would have refrained. It's not a sin to be angry - but it's a sin to punch someone in the nose. Congratulations Daddy! I think you passed the test.

Carol

JC Lamont said...

I think your son is adorable, as you already know he is. And I agree with Anonymous -- you passed. So feel good! God is proud of you.